View Single Post
Old 06-18-07, 09:37 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I should probably clarify a bit... in the event someone goes off and reads an article on "Ankling" and gets the wrong idea.

There's "ankling" and then there's "Ankling". The former is what I use. For me it's quite simply a practiced but natual foot movement much the same as my knees-in riding style.

"Ankling" with a capital 'A' is to some a very exaggerated movement of the foot often times described in older books on cycling technique and the like as a performance enhancing technique that can be employed for certain events or conditions.

Debbie, bless her heart, is all over the map and there's not much I can do about it. She'll sometimes have her toes pointed all the way around the pedal circle (I refer to this as her twinkle toes technique) which at the top of the pedal stoke makes it appear as though her saddle is way too low with her upper thigh leveled in many photos... that is, unless you happen to check out the foot position.

Of course, as a tandem captain you've got to be caught on video or still photos to see what exactly your stoker is sometimes up to back there. For example, this was "us" coming down the final descent on the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. Debbie apparently noticed that Team Hunter had their camera out and, well, there you go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tailofthedragon.jpg (57.6 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by TandemGeek; 06-18-07 at 10:33 PM.