View Single Post
Old 06-19-07, 08:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by laradioken
I"m about 365 +/-. I was told about getting a good beach cruiser and getting the rims issue. My budget is about $300 - $400.

I was also told about a good store near where I live - the big guy on Rob & Big, the show on one of those music channels is over 400 and found a good bike there.
Forget the beach cruiser. would probably do best with a mountain bike or a touring bike as others have said. A great touring bike that's out of your price range would be a Cannondale T800. It's a nice stiff frame that made for carrying lots of stuff day in and day out. However it's going to be around $1100.

Your best bet in a mountain bike-like bike would be a Trek SU200 or SU100 (go for the 200). It has smaller 26" wheels which are much stronger than 700C, it doesn't have a suspension fork which, on a cheap bike would be too much like riding a pogo stick anyway, and it's not under built. The Kona Hoss would be another good choice but it's about twice what the SU goes for.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!