Old 06-19-07, 11:32 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chunkyd
LBB - don't take this the wrong way but Wow! does a couple guys post really ruin a womens day on a internet forum? i have a scroll down on my internet browser! Do you? .
chunky, let me ask you this: how would you feel if someone who had been fit and skinny their whole life came into the Clydesdales forum and started holding forth with advice for Clydesdales? Some of it would probably be spot on and welcome...but some of it wouldn't. As time went on, if this person persisted, probably a lot of it wouldn't. This person could read all the books and have a PhD in human physiology and eighteen dozen fat friends, but he/she is not and never has been a Clydesdale.

So imagine it: this person posts all kinds of "helpful" things about "I've heard that" and "Studies show that". He/she says things like, "If you ever want to lose weight, you need to..." and "Do you really want to spend the rest of your life like that?" When Clydes complain that they have trouble finding bike clothes, he/she says, "I just don't see why it's that big a deal," or "Just lose the weight and you'll have plenty to wear!" When Clydes post about their latest accomplishment of doing a ten-mile ride, they post, "Yeah, I did that much before breakfast. You'll do much better soon, I'm sure! Just being helpful! And encouraging!"

And then, when you suggest that perhaps a never-been-a-Clydesdale isn't the best person to be commenting on situations he/she has never had to deal with, you are told:

don't take this the wrong way but Wow! does a couple skinny people's post really ruin a fat guys day on a internet forum? i have a scroll down on my internet browser! Do you? .

Clydesdales have this space and would not want it to be disrespected or co-opted. That courtesy should be extended to others as well.