View Single Post
Old 06-19-07, 07:17 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JumboRider
I know that I will get smoother at shifting and using my gearing more efficiently, but I currently suck. I have 3 rings up front and 8 cogs in the rear. Spending time on some web sites I know a little bit about the gear ratios, but I don’t really need to go into that at this time.

On the largest chain-ring I should not use the largest cog and when I am on the smallest chain-ring I should not use the largest cog. This is because of the angle the chain takes is bad for the chain and the sprockets as I understand it. Using the smallest chain-ring with the largest cog/sprocket gives me the least resistance to pedal against. This would be used for climbing etc.

Next, I know that I need to change gears while pedaling forward, but not mashing the gears. The optimal gearing would allow me to keep me at my ideal cadence/spinning. This is supposed to be the best use of my energy while riding.

Ok, that is what I know. I have problems judging the ‘throw’ of the shift levers to solidly set my chain on chain-ring and cog. It seems that I constantly hear the chain chattering until I play with the shifter for a while. This seems to be bad form. I should be throwing the shifter in the perfect spot to move the chain fully from cog to cog and chain-ring to chain-ring. How do I mange to do this? Is it just time and feel? Is this a sign that my front and rear derailers are out of alignment?

Is it proper to jump gears in one swoop, or should I be changing one gear at a time? I seem to really get messed up when I am moving to different terrain. There are a lot of hills where I ride. The bike will stall as I move up a hill in a big gear and then I find myself spinning uselessly as I go down a hill or onto a flat. Because I am so pitiful at shifting I stay in the middle chain-ring and move between the middle three cogs.

Spinning is supposed to remain at my optimal cadence. How does this work with climbing? Even in the smallest gear I have I need to mash pedals to go up my hills. Well, go up them until I need to walk. Are you guys able to spin up the big hills, or do you need to mash the pedals as well?
1. You're finding out first hand (get it?) why indexed shifting is now the norm on most bikes and friction shifters are special order for Luddites. But from what I understand, eventually you'll get good at it, so hang in there.

2. What Tom said about the gears, but I use the middle five when I'm in my middle ring.

3. You're gonna mash up them hills for a long long time. I know I still do, it ain't no big thing.