Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thhaze
Hey all.

During the Tour de France this year I found a web site (and subsequently can't find it again) where one of Lance's doctors talked about the nutritional requirements of the riders during the tour. Now I know probably very few of us train at that level but I think most of what was covered can apply to anyone who spends an entire day in the saddle.

I can't remember all of what I read but the vitals are staying hydrated and fed.

The rule of thumb they use on the Tour is to drink 3 bottles an hour with at least one of them being a sports drink (gatorade, powerade). It was also suggested to try to eat (munch on) something every 15 minutes or so, anything from a powerbar to peanuts. They also suggested gels at least every 20 minutes or 20 miles which ever came first. The riders also ingest about 8000 calories daily (from the time they get up until the time they go to bed).

I participated in a 60 mile road race this summer from Augusta to Portland, Maine. I kept to the above schedule and felt great for the entire ride (although I had to pee something fierce!). After a nasty flat tire just shy of the finish I managed to place 5th.

This website has a pretty good overview of exactly what brings on "the bonks".

Hope that was some help.
I know this is an old thread but I'm just reviewing bonks.
Thhaze, I just read the article in this link about how hard the liver has to work in a race. Err does this cause liver failure after years of cycling?? ah DON't want ma liver to "check out"!!!!!