View Single Post
Old 06-24-07, 08:12 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stage 4 Report:

In a race of climbers, I once again was reminded that I am no climber!

I was feeling good this morning; legs felt okay (at first), I was adequately nourished and recovered. I was surprised to learn that the 3rd place guy didn’t show up this morning. That put me in 6th. No problem right? Just hang with the pack, right?

The first 30 miles were uneventful, except for 3 brave souls that left the front of the pack to go at it on their ow.n First climb of the day; I can’t explain it, but my legs turned to wood. I couldn’t make my legs work hard enough to get my heart rate past 75%! The rest of my body felt fine from the legs up! I struggled to maintain contact with the main group, but did anyway. It might be a long day.

Second climb of the day; the pack took this one slowly and I was just fine

Third climb of the day; again, I just couldn’t get my heart rate up to where I needed to be. Legs wouldn’t move! I barely maintained contact with the lead group, which by the top of the climb was down to 35 riders or so.

The next 30 miles felt great. Legs wouldn’t work at 100% , but didn’t need to. The pace was fast and steady. 85 miles into the race, with 15 to go, I decided to try something that I knew wouldn’t work. I sprinted out in front of the pack and tried to go at it alone. I stayed out there for 2-3 miles before the pack caught me. I regrouped with the pack and got ready for the last climb.

Bottom of Dooley Mountain; body felt okay, I wasn’t bonked, I was enjoying the ride. But my legs wouldn’t turn. Pretty much the whole group dropped me in the bottom of the climb. I rode it at my own pace by myself. I actually enjoyed the climb. I didn’t feel like I was working that hard because my legs wouldn’t let me. I’ve never had that feeling before. I passed a few people on the way up, and ended up with 31st place on the stage. That squarely dropped me to 20th in the GC. Overall, not a bad finish I guess, but I sure need to figure how to get up hills before next year’s Elkhorn.

Thats all from Baker City. Thanks for reading and thanks for the support.

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 06-24-07 at 08:51 PM.