Old 06-25-07, 07:30 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First a little background about me. The reason I want to learn wheel building is that I’m a clydesdale – which is very hard on wheels. I’ve been truing my own for a while in a effort to increase the life of the wheel. I’ve had the LBS custom build one wheel for my Bianchi SanRemo, that lasted 4,000 miles. They are now building another wheel – hopefully it will be the last they build for me because I intend to build my own in the future.

I want to start with a front wheel build for my Trek 720. The wheel that my LBS has now is a Sun Rhyno Lite rim with the original hub. I told the LBS to give me the old rim after the new build. I think that the rim might have some life left in it, so if it looks like it’s in good enough condition I think that I’ll use it with a new hub and spokes. If that goes well then I want to build a really bomb proof rear wheel for the Trek. Right now I’m thinking of something like a tandem wheel – 40 spoke 4 cross. Anyone advice or opinions on this would e greatly appreciated.

I haven’t gotten a tensionmeter yet. There seems to be various opinions on weather that is needed or not. Don’t know what to do there. If I get one it will be a Park – I really like their tools

Cranky, I have read Sheldon’s wheel building article and I have an E-book called “Wheel Building” by Roger Musson. I got it from RoadBikeRider.com. I’m not familiar with “The Bicycle Wheel” but I am going to search for it. Do you know where to get it and who the author is?