Old 06-25-07, 10:14 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
I'm afraid it will take me more than the warranty time to give it at least 400 miles. I work during the week and have a hard time squeezing in riding time after work, so it is mostly on the weekends. I don't want to take advantage of the offer from the LBS. But I will still consider your advice if another saddle doesn't cause me this much pain. Actually, I could have kept riding longer this morning, and a few moments off the saddle did help. I guess it will take a combination of things to find the right fit for me.
Hello Yen,
May I suggest that you have hit the nail on the head in your own words. Riding so infrequently is sure to bring out some discomfort, no matter what saddle you have. When I bought my Specailized Elite, it came with a $35 Specialized Milano, which is pretty similar to your saddle. I found that it was good for about 40 miles, then it got hot. before that, I used a variety of gel asddles in different widths, all produced hot spots and sore ischials (sitbones).

Bottom line (no pun): There is a fleshy pad that surrounds the ischials that is about the size of a fifty-cent piece. It does toughen over a short period of time. Not calouse tough, but it tends to thicken a little. That whole area has to be on top of the seat portion of the saddle to support you. And, you have to ride enough to achieve some butt-break-in.

This is doubly important if you have a saddle that is not leather, because a leather saddle breaks-in in it's own way at the same time your butt does it's thing in that direction. Thus, a two way street, so to speak. Synthetic, or gel saddles, don't break-in, ever. The gel has to go somewhere when you compress it. Usually, it goes to the sides of the pressure point and tries to squish back up - into you. So, it's all up to your butt, which is why they can be very uncomfortable after more than a few miles.

This is not a Brooks Hi-Jack, but the old school bike makers equipped their bikes with Brooks, Ideale or other leather saddles because they work the best. No matter whether you ride short or long, there is a model that will work. Leather doesn't re-direct itself when you compress it. It goes down where you go down, and only lets you form it so far, til you reach the maximum shape of your body. Then, it stops, with a perfect custom shape just for you.