View Single Post
Old 06-25-07, 11:31 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by truckin
A trick with electrical tape, in case you don't already know it, is to pull it taut as you tape the end of the bar tape off but then to leave the last inch or so of electrical tape unstretched as you lay it up. That way the last bit of electrical tape doesn't try to pull back over time and leave you with exposed adhesive.
+1. This really helps a lot.

Also: electrical tape varies a lot in the quality of the adhesive. I have gotten a few rolls which were total junk and would fall off anything I stuck them to in a few days. And some which seems to last forever. I wish I could remember the brands of the good vs. bad stuff

And one other trick for finishing handlebars: where the bar tape ends, wrap electrical tape UPSIDE down on the bar for about 1.5 inches up to that point (adhesive side up!) Then wrap the bar tape on top, and finish off with another layer of electrical tape. Using upside-down electrical tape underneath can really prolong the life of a bar wrap and prevent it from getting sloppy when it starts to loosen and fray.