Old 06-26-07, 07:41 AM
Vanguard

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Industrial
It seems like a fine bicycle. My previous commuter was a Specialized Globe IG8 which has a very similar internal gear hub and overall design concept. My biggest gripes with it was the flat bars and lack of gearing for steep hills.

Seems like the Jamis with the mustache bar would give many more hand positions. I'm not sure I'll ever get another flat bar bike again. My hands would go numb after around 5 miles everytime. Didn't matter how many times I adjusted the various adjustments on the bike. With drop bars I have 3 distinct hand positions and it's great. Mustache bars are pretty similar too so that's a definate plus. I'd say your crazy to want to put flat bars on it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I currently live/commute around the city of Boston, which is essentially flat. It sounds like that the inter-8 speed hub should be enough then.

I'm curious by what you guys mean by having more "hand positions" on the mustache bar. I keep looking at the handlebar picture and see only one way to grip the bars.

One other question: are they major differences in bikes of the same model/make year to year? It seems like this is the first year that Jamis is rolling out the Commuter x.0 models (older Commuter bikes don't have the x.0 designation, and looks like a slightly different bike). Just curious what "improvements" will be seen in the 2008 3.0 models.