View Single Post
Old 06-27-07, 07:55 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Winter76
There was a study by a british guy that showed cars will give more room to people with no helmets because they assume that a cycler with no helmets are newer and therefore more unpredictable. The more experienced the rider the closer the cars would stay to them. The people who get the most room? Blonde women with no helmets.

edit: here's a link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm
You're drawing a conclusion that was not present in the study. The study was just that, a study. He found that given his test criteria, people with helmets got passed a little closer. Any reason for this, given the scope of the study, is conjecture. Unless they were able to interview drivers after passing and find out why they gave X or Y room, it's just guesswork. Even if they did, I doubt most drivers even are doing anything of the sort consciously, and wouldn't be able to give a good answer.

The article clearly says "Dr Walker THINKS (emphasis mine) that the reason is..." not that this reason is shown to be true by the study.

Also left unknown by the study, but which I think most experienced riders will agree to, is that the behavior of the cyclist bears a much stronger correlation than helmet use on driver behavior. If I'm getting passed too close, it's almost certainly because I'm not demanding enough room. Every time it's happened to me, I've corrected my own behavior by moving farther left, and I always get more room by subsequent vehicles.

This is an interesting study but using it to defend not wearing a helmet is ridiculous. I don't really care whether people wear a helmet or not, but base your choice on real issues.