View Single Post
Old 06-28-07, 12:49 AM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Not really, especially on a tandem. Good rims are expensive and discs don't wear out the rims. Discs help prevent tire blow-out by not putting heat into the rim. True, discs may be overkill on some bikes, but your generalization is not totally correct in all cases. We sure appreciate them on our tandem when coming down a mountain pass at 45+ MPH.
Disc brakes on a tandem seem to make sense to me - you are riding a heavier, longer passage. I doubt you could flip yourself over the bars on a tandem. Obviously, too much rear brake could cause you to lose control.

On these mountain passes, are you talking about wide smooth roadways or some sort of narrow path.

If you let it all hang out, how what top speed would you attain, and, can you coast all the way down safely, or are there curves, stops, etc?

Just curious.

It's good that I don't live in an area with real mountain roads.

Around here, there are two sections of road that I know of where just coasting downhill presents a challenge not to run off the road. Both have curves midway down the hill.

One road I've mastered, but, the other one would either cast me off the road or whip me left into the opposing traffic lane - and, I am having none of that.

Either type of brake is adequate on these relatively short but steep descents.

I'd probably be dead if there were real mountain roads within my reach.

I love speed.

Actually hate brakes, but, they are an unfortunate necessity.

Caruso