View Single Post
Old 06-28-07, 03:41 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone tired of the weather hysteria?

Just curious if any of you are as annoyed as I by the overblown reporting that we get around here concerning the weather. According to the reporters, it is always too cold, too inclement, or (as it "is" now) too hot for anyone to venture outside.

I happen to love riding on hot steamy days (any time of day). I make certain to protect my skin from the sun (I cover up . . . hate sunscreen), wear polarized sunglasses, put a hat under my helmet to keep sweat out of my eyes, tank up on electrolytes, stop as needed for fluids, and just ride, ride, ride.

Never have I experienced a problem, and I feel great before, during, and after those rides.

I refuse to heed advise from weather"persons" who are out playing in the weather while, at the same time, advising the rest of us that we should only venture out if absolutely necessary.

Stories about demented octogenarians who died because they sealed themselves into an un-air-conditioned house or apartment, did not drink any water, and had a stroke or heart attack (related or unrelated to the heat) offered as "heat-related" deaths and evidence that things are just so brutal that we should all seek the shelter of air-conditioned spaces disgust me. Those stories are as unfair to the aged as they are to the rest of us, and, IMO, are just one more example of hysteria churned up by the media to increase their rating points.

Most people under normal circumstances, can endure most hot days without doing anything out of the ordinary to protect themselves.

The rest of us (cyclists . . . yea!!) need only to make common sense provisions to avoid any complications.

End of rant.

Caruso