Old 06-29-07, 10:51 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gadge
I'm not trying to be insulting or in anyway detract from your sport/past time, but I simply don't understand the attraction of a tandem. So, what's the attraction?
There are at least three essential elements needed to have an attraction or sincere interest in just about anything: a valid reason, a realistic goal, and the means. To become an enthusiast requires passion.

As best as I can surmize from your postings in this thread, while you had a reason (curiosity?) and the means (access to a tandem and partner to ride with), there really wasn't a goal for you or your riding partner. Unfortunately, that is often times the case with many would-be captains who decide to experiment with tandems but who really haven't established that both they and their riding partner have compatible reasons and realistic goals. First time tandem experiments can also meet with poor results when the "means" is short-cut by using an ill-fitted machine or one that's not in proper repair.

If you're struggling with this let me suggest that you consider your question with a slight twist. Instead of coming from a cyclist who experiemented with a tandem, consider what you'll hear coming from many non-cyclists who experiment with bicycling:
Originally Posted by first time rider
I'm not trying to be insulting or in anyway detract from your sport/past time, but I simply don't understand the attraction of a cycling. I've tried over 30 miles and hated it- esp' the hills. So, what's the attraction?
Again, without a realistic goal mere experimentation will not necessarily yield a continued interest in something unless during the experiment a hidden passion reveals itself.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 06-29-07 at 01:40 PM.