Old 06-30-07, 08:45 PM
Robbie Hatfield
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since electric motors have a wide range of usable torque and can work efficiently throughout that range, and since many front / rear derailleur settings are inefficient and hard on the chain and cogs even for a person inputting modest power, maybe a lot of those gears wouldn't be so much use. The internal hub design can use a bigger chain and keeps it running in an exactly straight line the way it is supposed to be. I'd say that is a superior specification on paper at least.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Clay is saying. I don't think you're completely understanding what he meant either by your comments? I'll help elaborate for you.... If you were to use a Vision freewheeling stoker crank, the motor would power the front crank through an independent chain and chainring. More specifically, the motor would power the outermost chainring. The remaining 3 front chainrings and derailleur and standard chain would remaind the same. The motor would have a freewheel as well as the aforementioned Vision crank having its own freewheel. This would allow one to run power without pedaling or pedaling without motor resistance. This greater gear range would allow for a smaller motor than Randy is using. This combination under a skilled rider would run with Randy' s setup all day long without producing torque that could otherwise damage standard bicycle components. I also think that it's been so long since Randy actually pedaled a bike that he believes it's really true that it's impractical to shift gears a few times within a few seconds while on the way up to 30mph. Hogwash!

Oh, and perhaps Randy can produce a document from the manufacturer of his SRAM stating that they'll stand behind or even warranty their product in his application where he's stomping on the throttle like he does in his videos? I'll bet they won't! He's using a 750W motor for God's sake! Those SRAMS were NEVER designed to take such high torque! At best, Randy's ebike is a clever one-off that's had its day in the sun. (behind 3 team Mavic riders that is...LOL)

Robbie