Old 07-02-07, 08:33 AM
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever

Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
The axles were in fact changed. They were 2.5mm longer in the case of record for road doubles, however the effective length added to the drive side is 2mm. As the center is widened by 1mm which would add 0.5mm to both sides.

See:
http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html

You should either grind off the lip or purchase the proper derailleur. I have one, of course it has no holes and does not have the black arms... PM if interested.

Thanks, I have the flat cage front derailleur to match the older crank arms. When I bought the bike, the dealer put my old cranks, derailleurs and pedals on it, to save me some short in supply cash. Neither of us knew back then that they made a spacing change on the crank arms and a bb axle change. The bike has the newer Nouvo Record BB set with the supposedly longer axle, but the cranks were from 73 as per the date stamp. This all worked fine for years but with my needing a rear freewheel spacer (needed because I had the dealer remove the horrible clear plastic "spoke protector" back in 78) which pushes out the cogs a bit combined with the lipped SR drilled cage front derailleur, it is proving mighty diff1cult to get everything to clear. First, I'm going to try and find a slightly narrower spacer, then I'll try flattening ot tweaking the front of the cage as described. I could always try to buy a crank arm from 78, but that's expensive.