View Single Post
Old 07-02-07, 09:43 AM
HDWound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this only happen on your longest, heaviest exertion rides? I know it happens to me when I've really exerted myself. As my body has adapted to longer rides, it usually only happens now after rides of over 80-100 miles (it's also flat as a pancake where I am so take that FWIW lol) . These same symptoms used to happen after rides of 40 miles, then 50, then 60 etc.

Bicycling magazine had a little blurb about recommended hydration in this months issue. Drink plenty of water and see if your headaches still exist then you can determine if that was the cause or not. If you aren't properly fueled/hydrated ahead of time you're going to have a tougher time recovering. How long in duration are the rides where this occurs? If over 2 hours, maybe something like Endurox, Recoverite or Ultragen would help in recovery.

This is on cyclingnews.com regarding post ride headaches.

Pam Hinton replies:

I can certainly sympathize with you. I also get headaches after a race or hard training ride. I actually consider them an indicator of my effort - if I don't have a headache after a race, I probably didn't go hard enough. When I was competing in cross-country running in college, my teammates and I considered headaches a symptom of PMS - Post Meet Syndrome.

There are several different types of headache associated with exercise. Headaches brought on by sub-maximal or maximal aerobic exercise are called "effort" headaches. The pain is usually throbbing in nature and lasts 4-6 hours. These headaches are "vascular", meaning that changes in pressure in the blood vessels of the brain are experienced as pain. Because of the changes in blood pressure that occur with dehydration, vascular headaches are more common in hot weather.

Being adequately hydrated is one thing you can do to prevent an effort headache. There is some evidence that non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, indomethacin and naproxen) taken prior to an event may also prevent the onset of a headache. (A word of caution about taking NSAIDs prior to exercise, particularly in very hot and humid conditions, these drugs may decrease kidney function and increase the risk of dehydration. So always take the minimum effective dose.)

NSAIDs are also used to treat effort headaches. Caffeine may also help, as it constricts the blood vessels of the brain and decreases blood pressure. Be sure to consume some carbohydrate after you ride since low blood glucose can also cause headaches.

Good luck. Next time your head is pounding after a long, hard ride, just be proud you pushed beyond your comfort zone.

Dario Fredrick replies:

In addition to Pam's advice, there is a very simple yoga posture you can practice that reduces headache (as well as mental fatigue). Sit on the edge of a blanket or firm pillow in a comfortable cross-legged position (if you can do half-lotus, that's fine too). Take an elastic ace bandage and wrap it lightly around your head and over your eyes (with eyes closed). Be sure it's not too tight. Bend forward and rest your forehead at whatever height it will easily reach -- if not the floor, use the seat of a chair or a book. If it creates discomfort in the knee of the tighter hip, prop something (a book or folded blanket) under that knee. Stay in this position with your head supported for 1-5 min, breathing evenly through your nose. Inhale as you sit back up, change the cross of your legs and repeat.