View Single Post
Old 07-02-07, 08:43 PM
MichaelJay

Bikes: Panasonic 2000 (old 12 spd)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my home town as a kid riding on the sidewalk was required. In this town you are supposed to ride in the street IF you are over 14. Many parents require their kids to stay on the sidewalk where it is available. We kids used to sneak into the street (smoother, quicker), but if caught by the police, it was a one-week impoundment and parental notification (the worst part).

Motorists are going to hate our slow speed impeding them regardless of people using the sidewalk. They know we are allowed out there, and maybe that we are required to be out there, but it doesn't matter to them. I applaud the flyers, etc., but I think as long as parents know the hazards of bikes versus cars, they will keep requiring their kids to ride off the road when they can. I have had some close calls, but ironically, I have been hit only when I was on the sidewalk (twice) riding there as required by my parents. I can still see and describe the bottom of a 1950 Dodge.

The bike violation I hate the most is riding the wrong way against traffic. As a former State Trooper, I used to stop every one that I saw and hand out pamphlets on safe bike riding to them with an explanation of the rules. However, this is a university town, and the bike violations are incredible - wrong way riding, no lights at night, darting in and out, running red lights, sidewalk riding, etc. The only good thing, is that motorists are used to bikes - and that's a good thing.