View Single Post
Old 07-03-07, 07:58 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So how do I get all the sidewalk riders in my part of town to stop riding on the sidewalks? It sets up the expectation of motorists that I am doing it wrong when I ride vehicularly in the street.

Thus the guys riding "wrong" feel they are doing it right, while I get the honks and yelling...

I have passed out fliers at local bike shops and the library, that point to the Bike Expert web page... But I doubt that these utility riders and students even go to bike shops.

Certainly I can't stop each and every one and try to convince them to ride correctly...

So I bear the brunt of the motorists opinions that the "other cyclists" are doing it right and I am doing it wrong.

This is one clear case where more butts on saddles does NOT pay off.

BTW for the record, there are no bike lanes involved. These are narrow old streets lined with parked cars.
If sidewalk riding is legal (or even if it is illegal but not enforced) and you don't see a prone body at every interesection, then what is it to you that they ride where they are most comfortable? Why is what they are doing labeled "incorrect" and what you are doing labeled "correct"?

I suggest you quit trying to police how other people ride and just bear the yelling as the price you pay for a faster ride on the street. Isn't this how we cyclists do it nowadays?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter