Old 07-04-07, 10:32 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of contradictory advice. I hesitate to say that means at least half of it is wrong, so draw your own conclusions.

You definitely want food in you when you start. You want the right type of food and in the right place.

For type of food, you want something that will stay with you (that leaves out sugar), something that isn't hard to digest (that leaves out fats—fatty meats and most dairy), and something that yields usable calories (that leaves out a host of things, like high protein and leafy veggies). High carb like pasta and pancakes is very good. (You don't need to avoid sugar or veggies; don't make them the primary component.)

For 'in the right place', translate to time. You want the food well clear of the stomach etc. before heavy exertion. Allow about two hours. You also don't want it fully processed, so no more than 8 hours (est.). If your heavy meal is the night before, then breakfast doesn't really matter. A sugar jolt is okay—try fruit instead of processed sugar. Or both, like a slice or two of pie.

My own self, I usually eat a light breakfast, but before a century starting at 8am, I'll put down a big plate of pasta about 6am.

- Will Rogers