View Single Post
Old 07-06-07, 04:49 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
I've now "cold set" using both the allthread method and Sheldon's method, and I believe Sheldon's is by far the better method. The key is that you bend one side of the rear triangle at a time with Sheldon's method, if you take your time you can fine tune the alignment down to the millimeter. With the allthread method, you have absolutely no control over how much each side bends individually, and with the extra dimple on the driveside chainstay it's very likely they won't bend equally.

Particularly in a case like Mariner Fan's, where he'd be cold setting quite a distance (126 to 135), I would advise against the allthread method. You could end up with only side bending the entire 9mm, whereas with Sheldon's method you would be assured each side bends the same amount. Or if the frame is slightly out of alignment to begin with, you can actually end up with a better aligned frame than you started with by bending each side whatever distance you need to in order to properly align the frame-
I tried the allthread method once and ended up having to straighten out the mess I made using Sheldon's method. I don't think that anyone that tried both methods would ever use the allthread method again.