Old 07-09-07, 12:21 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
29er choices?

I ordered a sweet Fisher Supercaliber to ride this season...then sold it.

While I loved nearly everything about the bike (price, fit, equipment, weight, handling...OK, maybe not so much in the looks department), the one thing I couldn't get over is my fat butt. I'm 6'-4", 215, firmly in Clyde territory, and the bike just flexed way too much for my tastes. Sure it was nice and light, but being able to push sideways on the bars and get 2" of deflection out of the top tube without even trying too hard made for a less than confident ride. No, I don't think it's a 29er thing, just frame flex inherent with this particular design. I had no issues with the wheel size.

The guy that bought it weighs about 40 lbs less than me, test rode it for an entire weekend and never complained about the flex that bothered me from the first ride, leading me to deal with the fact that I may just be gravitationally enhanced, and perhaps shouldn't be riding such a light frame.

I had purchased a few upgrade parts for the Supercaliber but never installed them, leading me to think about building up a bike from scratch (as economically unsound as I know that is), so I'm looking into a full suspended 29er frame. Keep in mind that my riding background progressed from XC to DH, so I don't mind a little excess frame weight as long as it's stiff, but hey...I like light stuff too. The bike will be for general trail riding, not for anything crazy.

So far I've looked into the Niner R.I.P, the Voodoo Canzo 29 and have considered waiting for the Specialized FSR 29 (I have other bikes to ride in the meantime), but what I really am looking for is some real rider reports. Any clyde 29er fans that can give me some input?