View Single Post
Old 07-09-07, 03:18 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by JoeMetal
I'm pretty sure that my hydration was a factor at the end there. I'm also pretty sure that my blood sugar levels were dangerously low. In fact, after laying down for a while, I was a little light headed and dizzy upon sitting up. I've actually been planning on getting Accelerade for riding, instead of just using water. Do you know anywhere I can get it other than the website? Like, a real store?

I was looking at some discussions about Camelbaks (I think it might have been in the Road Cycling forum) and they all seemed against them. Right now I just use one water bottle, which will be changed to two bottles very shortly. Especially after today.

I will definitely try this again. Although, it won't be next Sunday. Hopefully before August I'll go out with these folks again. As far as finding out about routes beforehand, I'm not sure if I like that. I'd like to be able to just go whereever no matter what lies in front of me. I'll make sure to climb no mountains or anything, but if there is a hill coming up that might be pushing my limits, I would rather HAVE to try because I have nowhere else to go instead of just avoiding that hill because I knew it was there. Like, yesterday I took a ride down by another lake on the north side of town and I had no idea how much of a drop and then climb it was. If I had gone that way in a car beforehand, I would have never taken that route. The hill was much less steep, but that doesn't make it any less there.

I certainly think that I performed better than I thought I would. I was absolutely amazed when we stopped the first time after 15 miles and I was fine. Actually, (I just realized this) that was by far the longest I have ever gone without stopping. I think the longest I had gone before was under 8 miles. So it wasn't all bad, I just wish that whole ending part didn't happen. Next time I go out on a ride like this and they give some "large" (since it's relative) number for the mileage of the trip, I may opt out instead of being stubborn and just saying that my body won't give out if I don't let it. And as far at the hero thing goes, ... wow. Thanks, a lot. I'm not sure if I'm hero material, but I'll try not to let you down.
All the advice about hydration and fueling is good, but the problems at the end sound more to me like asking the muscles for more than they have in them. You rode nearly double your top distance; training guides I've seen online suggest no more than 10-15 per cent improvement week to week.

Choosing routes beforehand is a wise move, and not only because of hills. Road conditions and traffic volume come into play as well. For instance, I've had to change some of my local riding routes to avoid a steel grate bridge. When I ride to my gym, I use back roads to avoid a major highway interchange.

Why not next week? You sound as if you could ride the whole thing. You logged 23 miles; next week you will probably top that.