jpearl
Rabbinic Authority

Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elemental
Hey guys. I'm new here, but I searched these forums fairly constantly this winter and spring when I was comparing various road bikes. I finally bought an 06 Langster this spring (got a nice discount), and I've been attempting to use it to get in/stay in shape. I am a 19 year old college sophmore, and both at school and at home I basically live in the suburbs. I am not overweight, but wouldn't consider myself to be in great shape, at least not when I started. I ride at least three times a week, and I recently clocked myself at just over 11 miles on a short ride. When I feel like going longer, it probably gets up around 20. I know these aren't great distances, but they're an improvement, and I feel stronger every time I ride. My bike still has stock gearing, and I have not tried the fixie side yet.

Does anyone have any advice?

My goal is basically to get into shape and build strength (which a singlespeed seems to be great for, right?). So far I have made two amazing technological breakthroughs: 1) A water bottle cage is a good friend on humid 90+ degree days, and 2) Apparently in addition to looking ridiculous, cycling shorts have padding that's a lot cheaper (and probably more effective) than a new road seat (and can be worn under gym shorts to prevent one from broacasting his spandex to the whole world).

I don't seem to run across too many other people riding singlespeed like one would a 20 speed, just over less distance. They seem to be used primarily for more functional things or as fashion accessories (especially at school).
A singlespeed bike is a great ride for getting in shape, and here are some things that you can do to make your riding more efficient:

1. Get some cycling magazines. A good ride isn't just the ride itself, but also the pre- and post-ride as well. A cycling magazine will give you keen insight into foods and fluids that will help your riding, stretches, pedaling technique, helpful riding gear (like those lycra shorts!), and different ride and workout styles.

2. Get a cyclometer. A cyclometer (little computer mounted to the handlebar) can translate your riding into numbers, and give you a better idea of how far and how fast you are riding, and depending on the features of the cyclometer, how efficiently.

3. Flip your back wheel back over to the freewheel side. The freewheel gives you a broader range of riding options. By isolating your pedaling frm the momentum of the back wheel, you can concentrate at pedaling at your own comfort level and your own pedaling speed while not having to worry about not pedaling too fast where you can't stop or slow down. Plus, you can do fun things like diving into high-speed corners while leaning low to the ground or coasting down a long descent in an aero tuck.

There are some, but not many, singlespeed road riders. I do long, open-road rides on my '07 Langster, also with stock singlespeed gearing, usually 40 to 65 miles at around 17-18 mph. The beauty of a singlespeed road bike is that it forces you to ride the gear you're in, that there are no higher gears to rely on for speed or lower gears to bail out on while climbing. You have to rely on creative and adaptive pedaling and riding technique to get that one gear to climb, descend, sprint, and cruise. Sometimes it takes smooth, fluid riding, and sometimes it takes muscular fighting.

Since you sound like you are just begining, I would reccomend longer, slower, steadier rides to build endurance while conditioning your body to the demands of being on a bike, then factoring in climbing to build strength. Over time, you'll build the strength and conditioning to up the pace and distance of your rides. From there, you can try a few training techniques found in the bicycle magazines or just ride and listen to the demands of your body.

Good luck, and most important: enjoy the riding and be safe.