Old 07-10-07, 02:29 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all!

Sounding off as ordered. I am 44 and living in Franklin, TN. Until mid-April, I hadn't been on a bike of any sort for about 23 years. I'd probably be considered a Clyde, and a Fred . I decided to get into the sport slowly (and cheaply) to see if I liked it. I got myself an Ibex Corrida (flat bar road bike) for about $400 (I actually like the bike quite a lot and after a good tune up from the LBS it's running like a champ). I got myself a helmet, some cycling shorts and tossed on my YMCA t-shirt and off I went.

A hill or two around here kicked my but at first, but I have since conquered them. Last weekend I invested in some Speedplay Zero pedals and got a good deal on a pair of 2005 Diadora carbon shoes (can't remember the model exactly...light racer or something). The pedals and the shoes feel great! I am definitely a beginner on the road. Been riding solo for almost three months now and am logging in about 250 - 300 miles per month. Those hills that used to kill me are now a lot easier (don't have to shift to the small chain ring on some of them any more). My average speed by month is going up substantially. I've lost a pant size and a few pounds and between this and the swimming I've been doing my bod is getting much firmer (still have some more firming to do). In the 3 months I've been cycling I've increased my max ride lengths from about 15 miles to about 40 miles and I'm planning an approximately 80 mile ride in August. I've already ridden in 3 states and after the 80ish mile ride I'll have ridden in 4 states. Tennessee, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa (the 80ish mile ride will be along the Mississippi River in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa.

I have learned a lot by lurking here. Especially about hydration and nutrition which I am finding very useful on my "longer" rides. At some point I might be interested in some group rides. I feel I'm getting a pretty good command over the bike now and could probably keep up with a beginning to intermediate group (15 - 18 mph pace over rolling terrain). Three months into this sport I am really enjoying it and I'm in MUCH better shape than I was 3 months ago. If I keep enjoying it this much, there may be a new, more expenseive, bike in my future...

Well, that's me. At leaset as it related to cycling. Nice to meet you all!!