View Single Post
Old 07-10-07, 04:57 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
UPDATE

Well It's painted....
Frame:
I used Rustoleum Fluorescent Green spray paint on the upper / outer surfaces (I'm not happy with the matte finish) which I topped with Rustoleum Reflective spray paint (again I'm not happy with the reflectivity of the product, but I had it on hand and it didn't cost me anything).
I also added some blue reflective tape leftover from outfitting my girlfriend's bike.

Deck: Primed with Shellac based primer (bug squeezings) and painted with someone's leftover latex house paint acquired from our local hazardous recycling center (free). Added a safety flag by mounting it to the hinged SMVT.

What's left:
  • Replacing the current CSPC reflectors with lights for night use
  • Adding eye bolts around the frame perimeter for better bungee cord use
  • Additional ideas I'm working on

We haven't used the trailer at night yet, so for now the blinkies are on the back burner. I haven't determined the best locations for the eyebolts yet, but then again we haven't needed to haul anything yet that couldn't go in the bin. As for the other ideas....they're in development.

So far the trailer has been a learning experience.
  • If the paint/ frame condition had been better (no minor surface rust) I probably wouldn't have painted it.
  • I suck at spray painting
  • The SMVT / safety flag assembly will be a carryover
  • I work better with metal than I do with wood (could just be a tool issue)
  • For groceries the bin really should be a light color (in addition to being cooler internally this also potentially adds to the visibility of the trailer).
  • Towing a trailer is a different experience that really adds to the utility of a bike