View Single Post
Old 07-10-07, 09:22 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgscisum
I do appreciate one members humor, but............. forums are for questions and answers and this IS a bike forum. What better place to ask if anyone is familiar with this type of injury while riding hills?!?! I am 55. Started riding competively at 19. Had to stop racing when I was a victim of hit and run at 34. I have had 2 lower back operations because of it. I have had bacterial meningitis, 5 total surgeries in the last 4 years. Last June I was in critical care for 6 large blood clots in my lungs. I have benign tumors in both feet and one tumor recently removed from my left hand. I receive epidural pain shots for a neck injury when someone pulled out in front of me. I have no fear when riding and it is very important to me.
MY point!
I have relied on forums many times for advice. Rarely for bike issues but many time for advice as to how to ride through an injury or the pain I sometimes experience. Many minds are better than one. I LOVE to ride and it is my escape from the health issues. I would venture to guess many people in my position would be unwilling to suffer to keep their health at a level that lets them ride 100+ mile a week. I am not ranting but just letting fellow riders know that asking a medical question on a forum seems to be a logical step in seeking opinion and the next step toward treatment. For those that responded, I thank you!
For what it's worth dept. YMMV as they say:

When I suffered (and I mean suffered) significant onset of sudden back pain, I went to a very experienced chiropractor who told me a disc was pressing on a nerve. He prescribed a regimen of backbends--to be done for about a minute every hour of the day.

I also visited a pain managment clinic, got an MRI, got sports massage, got physical therapy (which provided a good set of core exercises, especially concerning the transversus abdominus muscles), read everything I could, spoke with a variety of experts, etc., etc.. In the end, the orginial chiropractor's diagnosis was borne out by the MRI and other diagnostics. A disc was pressing on a nerve, but the damage was treatable via exercise and physical therapy. No one recommended surgery. In the end, things worked out ok (except when I get lax with my exercises).

I am not suggesting this is your issue. I would certainly never diagnose anyone. I'm not a health care professional, but this is my story. In the end, the back bends and the core exercises seemed to help me a great deal. Ultimately, if the situation does not resolve on its own with a bit of rest, I do suggest seeking professional advice and getting as many opnions as you need in order to feel you're in the right hands.