cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Caliper brake efficiency

Hi All,

I have an entry level Giant OCR3 road bike (2005 model). It has some generic caliper brakes on them. They do an OK job stopping me and the bike, but I'm wondering if there are some things that I can do to enhance the braking capability for my bike.

I've made sure that my rims are true and that my brake pads are properly aligned with respect to the rims. I also check my pads regularly to make sure they aren't worn out and I adjust the brake lever cable tension to make sure the brakes feel responsive. However, the braking power could be better. My bike probably weighs about 23 pounds and I weigh around 170.

I have been using generic brake pad inserts with my bike. Would choosing a specific brand of brake pad help improve braking efficiency or do all of the pads more or less perform the same?

How about brake cables and cable housings? I've seen advertisements for "power" cables which enhance braking capability. Do these things really work? Are they worth the added cost (they are pretty expensive)?

Last of all, how about upgrading my calipers? Do higher priced brake calipers perform better, or are they merely lighter than the low cost ones?

Thanks in advance!