View Single Post
Old 07-12-07, 10:25 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several years ago, acid reflux became my new best friend. It forced me to give up heavy/creamy/fat-ladened/sugary stuff and eat smaller amounts of whatever I eat. Now I prefer the natural fresh flavors of foods, seasoned with herbs, olive oil & lemon for dressing, broiled chicken or fish, and very seldom a good burger or steak. I occasionally eat fries, chips, and sweet stuff but not on a regular basis anymore (it will send me into a very bad sugar slump that makes my legs feel like rubber). My weakness is cookies, so we just don't buy them now.

Our new favorite recipe comes from Taste of Home's Cooking For 2 magazine, submitted by Denise Elder. The salsa is also good over a green salad or mixed into cottage cheese (for a good post-ride meal!).

Chicken with Mango Salsa

1/2 cup chopped peeled mango
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro*
1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper**
1 Tbsp. chopped red onion
1-1/2 tsp. chopped celery
1-1/2 tsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. grated lime peel
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)***
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. canola oil

For salsa: In small bowl, combine the mango, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, onion, celery, lime juice and peel. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

Season the chicken with S&P and cook [using your favorite method****]. Serve with salsa. 2 servings.

* The second time I made it I substituted cilantro with a lesser amount of fresh basil. Nice! Hubby thought the taste of cilantro was a little too strong so if you use it you might try a lesser amount at first... unless you really like cilantro.
** I didn't use it, and didn't miss it, but if you like jalapeno it's probably good!
*** I used frozen chicken tenderloins (unthawed).
**** I rubbed each frozen tenderloin with olive oil on both sides, sprinkled with dried herbs, and broiled in the oven for 5 minutes each side, WATCHING CAREFULLY. If not overcooked, they turn out very juicy. The rack was a little lower than the highest position.