Old 07-13-07, 06:01 PM
walkman666 

Bikes: Trek X-Caliber 8 (2016)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey. I just bought two Dahon's, a D7/Speed and a D3/Curve. Much thanks to this forum for the dialog and advice. I learned a lot. I got these bikes at Sunrise Cyclery in West Babylon, Long Island (NY State, USA). I read for two weeks here, tried out a Curve near where I live in Manhattan, and then discussed it with my wife. Our goals are light recreation, not for commuting, not for intense riding. We live in apt in the city, so a folding bike seems like a bullseye fit for our needs. There's a store only two blocks from my apt with many folders, but alas, only five different types of Dahons (and many Bromptons and the Birdy and Swift), but only one folder under $500 (the D3/Curve). I tried the Curve, but my wife did not want such a small looking bike (D3), so we were on our way to the beach anyway, and stopped off at Sunrise Cyclery cos they have a huge selection of Dahon's. A call in-advance ensured that they had both the D3 and the D7 in stock, and Frank was very kind to make sure they were assembled for us to try out. We also wanted to spend $800 or less, so these two bikes were in our budget. We tried 'em, liked 'em, and bought 'em! We made our budget, too, just barely. Pix of these bikes in Montauk just yesterday. Now they are home in NYC.

Me and the mrs used the bikes 2x, on two 7 miles rides, keeping up with our friends who were riding nice hybrid full-size rentals. We had a lot of fun. Folding seems easy enough. Our butts are a bit sore though, so I am interested in upgrading the seat or seat/post, but don't want to compromise any foldability. I will do a search here and on the Dahon forums for suggestions, but any replies here are also appreciated.

Thanks! - walkman