Old 07-13-07, 09:33 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I had a hickup with my Dual Cross this morning and it dawned on me that I need
a backup light. All I have now is a cheezy CatEye OptiCube that really doesn't
cut it, even as a backup.

To the point, suggestions for a self contained backup headlight.

Thanks

CE
Originally Posted by Grun
CE get a CE (CreeEdition) LED flashlight from Fenix,

get a P3D from Fenix, BAM! 160 lumens from a single small flashlight.
A pair of P3D would give the DualCross a run for its money.
and no! i don't own shares in Fenix, I've got one and love it to death! it is one powerful beast!

Gruns idea is good. I don't own a Fenix light yet but I am working on aquiring one as soon as I have the time and budget for it. Also it'll be a good idea to get the Twofish mounts as they can mount on the bars or the helmet. Just put that into your seatbag and you're good to go and keep the flashlight in your pannier/bag/belt-holster. If you use a backpack get a holster for the flashlight and mount the holster upside down. Get a cheap quick release keyring holder from the dollar store, a small carabiner, and a cheap small coil cord at the dollar store. You can use string or some cord if you don't want that coil cord fromt he dollar store.

The reason for mounting upside down is that this serves two purposes. 1. Self defense 2. quick access when you need your backup light. You will put the quick release on the flashlight then put the cord/coil on the other end of the quick release keyring then mount that small carabiner on the shoulder strap for safety should the flash light drop.

If engaged at night with a precieved threat you can quickly drop the light out because of the upside down mount and the dommy cord will keep the light from falling to the ground should you panic and slip your grip holding the light. Keep the coil/cord short.

When you need to use the light as a backup light then drop the light out, quick release it from the keychain , then take the Twofish block out of the seatbag or backpack/bag then mount to the helmet or bars, insert flashlight, power on, and keep rolling.