View Single Post
Old 07-15-07, 09:13 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First century: hints beyond the basics?

I'm attempting my first century next Saturday on the Holland (MI) Hundred. I think I have the basics down: pace myself, keep hydrated, snack frequently, wear sunblock, pray for a tailwind...

In terms of pace, I'm shooting for a leisurely 14-16mph. Up to 18 on the flats (I routinely do 18-20mph on club rides) if no headwind once I'm well warmed up. Low and slow on uphills. Course is supposed to be flat to rolling.

It's an organized ride with rest stops and SAG support.

Of course I'll have my seat bag with patch kit, spare tube & multi tool. Frame mounted pump too. I'll have a small fanny pack with some energy snacks (I like halvah - lots of Indian groceries around here) and a few Ibuprofen (for the general stiffness that occurs on longish rides) and maybe a vest or rain jacket if precip is possible. Two water bottles. Wallet with cash and ID of course (never without it).

I'll clean & lube my chain/drivetrain and check my wheels for true this week. Just installed new brakepads.

Beyond that, any of you century/tour veterans have any useful little tips/tricks?