Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
Wow, hard to argue with that one ......
Actually, it is easy to argue:

Dahon advantages:

- warranty is key (I've had issues here with my downtubes, there is no help after your 30 days or 1 year), isn't Dahon a 5 year warranty or longer?
- some would argue a steel frame is better for a lifetime bicycle, obviously there isn't a weight penalty
- gear range is similar. More gears doesn't mean a better bike. Yes, standard cassette is nice on Downtubes. But who out there has replaced the wheelset?
- there isn't the massive list of items for needing to take the bike to a bike shop to have done (because 3/3 bikes I've had experience with had numerous QC issues). I think going through these andproperly adjusting them all would take 2 hours. So you're talking about $100 minimum if they actually do what Downtube says.
- the "yes" items are really unimportant _for me_, and inexpensive for others, I cut off my "frame protector" as it makes fitting in a suitcase harder, a water bottle cage adapter is $5, chainrings are typically the same price as an entire new crankset, the front suspension on these bikes is very bad ($10 fork) (it's actually more expensive to buy their less suspended model), replaceable derailleur hangers rarely are found on any steel bikes, my bag never gets used though it is pretty nice, many may upgrade pedals anyway
- if you're over 6 foot (I think max inseam is around 32"), no luck with a downtube, as there is no option for getting a longer seatpost;
- some of the standard size components downtube uses are a plus, but my experience in wanting to use the Downtube as a base model let me see that the bottom bracket was improperly tapped, so that's of little advantage since that totals the frame for higher end components
- there are quite a few reasonably priced replacement parts for Dahon (ie, their telescoping seat post)

If I were in the market for only a $300 folding bike, I'd argue in favor of the Speed D7 from my experience with 3 downtubes.

Search telescoping seatpost ($22.50)
http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/accessories/seatpost.htm

List of rules for assembly on the Downtube (there are posts of people that have had to spend excessive time/force for step 14):
http://www.downtube.com/Folding_Bike_FAQ/Instructions/

Last edited by jasong; 07-15-07 at 02:13 PM.