View Single Post
Old 07-15-07, 08:01 PM
DanPT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
At least you could coast using two freewheels though.

No you can't coast I never done it but that why the op said it's a pseudo fixed. If you take a freewheel bike (or any multi-gear cassette for that matter) and push the bike backward you'll see that wheel turn the pedal

Since the 2nd freewheel is on the left hand side. Think about when you flip a wheel. Rotate 180 on the vertical plane. Front become back and right become left. So the left handside freewheel think your going backward and will push the pedal forward.

EDIT: (More thought on fixed gear) The problem with fixed gear lock ring is flip flop hub on only have one side with a smaller inversed tread for lock ring.

So one side would have a proper fixed lock ring. The other side need to be suicide or freewheel

If it's a freewheel on the other side it does not do anything. It will not put any force going forward.

It can input force when your resisting the rotation but the fixed gear has no moving mechanism so I believe most if not all of the pedal rotation force will come from the fixed gear making the second freewheel completely useless.

With 2 freewheel the left hand side freewheel will push the pedal when going forward, when you resist motion, when you try to slow down or brake. The right hand side will provide forward motion when you pedal.

You create a pseudo fixed gear with an alternative system

I hope I haven't confuse everyone with my rambling

Last edited by DanPT; 07-15-07 at 08:13 PM.