patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The inevitable Pcad Powertap Hand Wringing Thread is Here

Oh yes. I am close to a Powertap. I'm getting faster, but on days like today I realize there are two major flaws in my training strategy (3 if you include that I'm trying to get faster with Pcad as the motor):

1.) I don't ever take rest days. I realize this is utterly counter-productive to getting faster, but for multiple reasons I feel compelled to ride daily. My last day off the bike was April 30. F me. You can try 'walking on the bike', but NOTHING is better than doing NOTHING. Particularly for guys over age 45.

2.) I like the Powertap wireless unit. Any feedback on this? Mounting it up on different bikes involves a $15 handlebar mount, no wires, nothing. And they now have software for my Mac so I can generate those cool graphs like Dr. W. Don't look for my graphs posted on BF, it would be far too embarrassing.

I was utter Wasa today (thanks to botto for the metaphor it never felt more appropriate):

110 miles on Saturday, and today I felt fried from the first pedal stroke. Hung on Nyack and got blown out on Scratchup Road (nasty steep climb about 4 miles from the end of a 50 mile ride) for the first time in a couple of months. You know those days when you're saying 'this ride shouldn't be this hard' and you're digging down just to hold the wheel in front of you wondering if your brake is rubbbing? One of those days today. Had a couple of strong moments, made it over the climb mid-ride with the bunch (that hill typically eliminates at least 1/3 of the pack, sometimes more).

Got away with that 100+ miles Sat/Nyack Ride Sunday combo the past few weeks. Not today. However I have had enough experience to know that tomorrow is another day and even the crispiest toast can get a second wind.