EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ningnangnong
JeremyZ

Good point. Time to speak to the NY office!
You will almost certainly be hit for Import Duty and VAT if you buy a bike from abroad or have one sent as a gift. I've been caught a couple of times for things I bought online. The damned Post Office even charged an extra £5 just for taking my money before handing it over.

You are likely to be charged about 3% as import duty and 17.5% VAT - just call it a round 21% to that fat B*stard thieving t*at of a tax man!!! Oh and don't forget you'll have to grease the palm of his loathesome henchman from the Post Office with at least a fiver too.

On looking it up I just found this -

Originally Posted by dirty-rotten-thieving-Revenue&customs-extortion-racketeers
2.3 Are import duties and import VAT always payable?

No. Customs duty is waived if the amount is less than £7.
Excise duty is not payable on gifts of tobacco and alcohol unless the quantitative limits set out in paragraph 2.5 are exceeded.
Import VAT is not payable on:
  • commercial consignments eg goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters
  • gifts, excluding alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters, with a value not exceeding £36 and which comply with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4
  • gifts of alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters that are within the quantitative allowances detailed in paragraphs 2.5 and 2.6.
There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the National Advice Service for further information.
top ^
2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and under EC Directives and Regulations excise duty and import VAT is not chargeable if:
  • the value of the gift does not exceed £36
  • the customs declaration is completed correctly
  • the gift has been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • the gift is for the use of either yourself or your family
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
  • alcohol, tobacco products etc are within the allowances detailed in paragraphs 2.5 and 2.6
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only eg for a birthday or anniversary.
Info in full context ^

Last edited by EvilV; 07-16-07 at 07:20 AM.