asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time on a MTB in 7 years plus a race

I'm a roadie, and have been at it for 3 years. I started racing this year and do well. I also started finding group rides and found this one out of a local shop (cycletofitness out of livonia, great guys). They are a bunch of MTBers that have a road ride on tuesday. I show up it tends to be alot of chasing me.

After about a month, one of the riders asked me if I ever MTB. I haven't been on a trail in probally 7 years (MTBing with my folks in like 8th grade), and never competitively. He says that I am beyond fast on a road bike, and asked if I would enter a race if he found me a bike. I said ok. The race was yesterday. The bike was a nice hard tail specd out with XT and XTR components, that was almost as light as my road bike. Since I don't have any MTB shoes, the owner told me to just bring my road pedals and shoes. They worked alright, but I would slip out a bit around tight corners. I was hopeing that there would be a ton of climbing since I'm a great climber on the road. Unfortinately there wasn't but there was a TON of technical sections (tad out of my realm). None the less, I felt like I was doing OK, and was passing a bunch of people. I finish my lap, and it turns out I pulled in the same time to even a little faster then guys who have been racing for years. They asked if I would race for them this upcoming weekend in a 12-midnight relay race, and I am thinking about doing it although I have a road race the next morning at 8am.

But everything aside, I had a ton of fun, and now think I might have to save up for a MTB.