View Single Post
Old 07-17-07, 10:33 AM
Triguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkwing7
Do you mean purely picking up your speed or say, picking up the intensity by doing hill work? I am expeirmenting with doing one set of speed only and another of hill work and one long run (which for me, is like 6 miles) per week. I find the intensity work out gives astonishing results.
Mixes of ...

intervals - BIKING (harder efforts, above race pace, with rest of approxiamately 1/2-1 the duration of the interval). For Example, warm up, then 2 miles at (race pace+1mph), 1 mile rest, (race pace+1mph), 1 mile rest, (race pace+1mph), 1 mile rest, (race pace+1mph), 1 mile rest. Try and make the hard sections close in perceived effort, and account for changes in wind. I.E. roughly 22mph into a headwind is like 28 with a tailwind.

intervals - RUNNING warm up, the 4 miles at 5k race pace with maybe 3-5 minutes rest inbetween each.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
tempo - biking, sustained effort just under say Olympic distance race pace.

tempo - running, sustained effort around half marathon pace, either 15, 30 or 45 minute blocks.

I do hill work early in the season, and replace it with intervals come mid season and continue intervals until late season.

For running I try and get one tempo in per week along with hill work/speed session as well as a bike run brick(which is also a speed session) and a long run. As a triathlete, I have run anywhere from 30-60 miles per week with little variation in performance. However, I come from a running back ground and would say that I can probably get away with a larger amount of speedwork than most people.