Old 07-18-07, 09:30 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by electricaltape
*long (short) derailleur cage* was the terminology i needed. i googled and wahlah! came across drew saunders' lovely little page about running a short cage with a triple. interesting.. but i will definitely be switching to a compact double crank and higher/tighter cogset.

tossing my tour gearing wouldn't equate to losing functionality for me. much more the opposite. i never use my granny or the lower cogs. with the bike *feeling* a tad big for me (maybe it actually is a tad big for me), i'm trying for what i can to make it seem less like i'm driving a boat

you are probably right about the "problem" being in my head. it's not a necessity for me to pay so much to switch out something fine. on the same token, i could go the rest of my life without buying another shirt. i could always play my cello strings until they are unable to hold a pitch. i could brew those coffee grinds that have been in the cupboard for a few years. i think building my bike up is something i'd truly enjoy in a worthwhile way. i like giving in to evil. i think if i were truly "evil", i'd go fixie.

thanks to all for all the help!
You sound like a guy ready to upgrade to a road bike. I'd think twice about spending the money on a drivetrain upgrade on this bike.