Old 07-18-07, 12:06 PM
Chezhoff

Bikes: 2004 Trek 1500, 200? Diamond Back Topanga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telenick
Well, I'm gonna be guilty of (2) things today: not getting my work done for another few minutes and hijacking this thread.

I happen to know that there is substantial revenue gain from the TBP that is used to entirely support TE operating and capital expenses for the remainder of the year. I'm not a fan of their "gouging" with this one event to keep their world spinning for teh remainder of the year.

However, I will give TE credit for throwing down more than 10% of their revenue to the Charity ...used to be pediatric AIDS... a very worthy cause indeed. TE puts about 30% of the revenue towards charitable giving.

Now the Copper Triangle ride hosted by CC and Copper Mountain?... 10% is despicable. The Davis Phinney Foundation deserves a heck of a lot more than a measly 10%. I'm sure everyone would agree. It's a bike ride for Pete's sake! It's not a ding dong excuse to make a profit in the name of giving.

grrrrr
I'm not getting a lot done here at work either...fun debate anyway!

I have a different opinion as I don't see it as gouging. I don't see anything wrong w/ TE making money on the TBP. That's capitalism at it's best...give 3,500 people something they want...make money for yourself...and give to make the world better. What would be a "fair" price to you for the Triple? I certainly got $90 (or whatever it was) worth of value out of it.

On the Copper Triangle...I agree that they should be giving more to Phinney's foundation, especially since the connection to it is so prominent on the web site. It would be interesting to see a P&L statement as the fixed expenses are probably quite high and they don't get as many riders for this one (I'm not sure of the exact numbers though).