Old 07-21-07, 02:24 PM
maunakea
too many bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clownbike
...Folks over there get fairly upset if you bash them with something that you're carrying, whether intentional or not.
Funny, that one. There have been times I would have liked to have inserted a pedal into the knee into some cow-like dimwit standing at the very front or rear of a jammed train/subway car... the ideal place for park a large bundle of bike. But instead, I ask politely whether they would move slightly in the precious seconds when the doors first open at the next stop. I try never to travel with a bike during rush "hour", but rush "hour" in Kanto goes on for 3 to 4 hours weekdays and most of Saturday.

Bike friendliness in Kanto, from most to least: 1) private rail (surface); 2) JR (surface) 3) subways vary by line, vs. by company (Toei, Tokyo Metro), and time of day. The newer subway lines, like Namboku, have elevators in the stations (++++), and the older lines don't. The worst norikai I have is 800 meters at Akasaka Mitsuke... I actually unfold and "coast" if the corridors are not crowded... playing the hen na gaijin card.

Last edited by maunakea; 07-21-07 at 02:56 PM.