pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Clownbike
Thanks for the input folks, guess I should clarify a bit further.

Being a bit long in the tooth for the salaryman bit, I'll be doing freelance work and not commuting to a regular gig or going to a consistent destination. Need something that would work well with the train system as well as being practical for a wide range of riding conditions, both in town and out. There is also a distinct possibility that the move will be permanent.

The concern with the Dahon isn't so much that the frame folds as that having the two wheels come together produces a wide package. Folks over there get fairly upset if you bash them with something that you're carrying, whether intentional or not. Luckily I'll be able to chose my travel times and avoid the white glove periods. The doors on the Shinkansen's are also rather narrow and it may be a bit of a struggle to get it on board, especially if others are pushing to get on or off and you've got a bulging backpack as well. One must remember that the train will not wait 'till you've gotten on or off board. If it leaves at 10:24, by god it will leave at 10:24.

So far, it looks like the Birdy may be my best bet. The low end Fretta is only about $150 cheaper than the comparable Birdy here at today's exchange rate. Do like the colors offered over there, but other than that there's not much difference that I can see. The move is not going to be before sometime next year, so will see what the deal is then. The fact that a search came up with quite a few Fretta(Birdy) retailers is encouraging from a parts and maintenance standpoint.

Yeah, lots of bikes over there. I've seen a few very interesting high tech folders, but most are klunky looking third world junk. Next time over I'll do a more serious investigation of the bike market. From what I've seen so far, the higher the tech, the steeper the price curve compared to the US.

In the meantime, if I do plan on replacing the XX, the sooner the better while it's still in primo condition. I usually purchase used anyway, so will keep an eye open for a good deal on a used Birdy. This will give me some time to check out it's suitability.

Had been hoping someone with actual experience with these bikes on trains would pipe up. While Tokyo is the extreme, any large metropolitan system would present similar situations. And while the Brompton/Merc would provide the best train solution, I don't think it would work as well for the bulk of the riding.

Cheers

PS - Solution_63, sounds like you speak from experience. Are you actually using the Fretta in the Japan system? Thanks
At 126,000 yen and the 123 to the dollar exchange rate, that puts you within reach of a $1000 monocoque frame. I think the older style frames are a better deal, but your resale value will be much higher if you go that route. You should be able to get over $1000 for the used Fretta in the US, provided it's in fair condition. (If you are in the UK, even better.) The $650 Caprio model has a much lower price differential.