Old 07-21-07, 05:20 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
One or two dynamo-powered headlights? It depends jhow fast you ride. With a DLumotec primary, I'm told the E-6 secondary provides good lighting at 12-14 km/h. But with a Lumotec or E-6 primary, the E-6 secondary starts to provide useful lighting at 15-18 km/h (i.e. both headlights better than one) and both reach full power at around 22 km/h. I don't find the secondary that useful in the city; it's a bit more useful in suburban territory and quite useful on dark roads, especially if going downhill.
I have one particular long unlit downhill where I have to work to stay under 30mph, and work *hard* to stay under 20mph, so I don't doubt I would get full power from 2 headlights.

It's good to hear that you think the dynamo lights do give you sufficient vis to other traffic. I was wondering about a helmet lamp more because I'm putting a handlebar bag on that will block a lot of easy mounting points for a bar lamp than because I want to weigh my head down. Maybe I just need to work on some more options for that.

I think I am going one more winter w/ my 15W halo regardless but it's good to formulate ideas of what to save for hopefully for next winter.