CaptainSpalding
Explorer

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clownbike
Need something that would work well with the train system as well as being practical for a wide range of riding conditions, both in town and out.
Sadly, the dichotomy of folding bike design - bikes that tend to be best for fussy rail systems seem to make out-of-town jaunts a bit of a struggle, while the best folders for long distance rides on lesser groomed roads tend to be a little clumsy on the train.

The concern with the Dahon isn't so much that the frame folds as that having the two wheels come together produces a wide package. Folks over there get fairly upset if you bash them with something that you're carrying, whether intentional or not . . . So far, it looks like the Birdy may be my best bet.
I'm sure you can find lots of reasons to replace your Helios with a Birdy, but folded width isn't one of them.

Birdy:
Folds to 30" x 23" x 11" (see here.)
Dahon Helios XX:
Folds to 33" x 22" x 11" (see here.)

And while the Brompton/Merc would provide the best train solution, I don't think it would work as well for the bulk of the riding.
If that's your honest opinion, my advice is to stick with your XX. The reasons?
  • It's a sweet riding bike.
  • It's light.
  • It's as narrow as your top contender to replace it.
  • You already own it.
If you think a Brompton won't meet your expectations for the bulk of your riding, I'd say anything that folds smaller than your XX won't either.
Strida 5.0
Twenty project

— or not . . .
Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
Merlin Road flat bar project
Schwinn Twinn Deluxe