Old 07-23-07, 09:37 AM
madopal
Light Cyclist

Bikes: Centurion Le Mans RS, Homebuilt Cyclocross (Nashbar frame), Homebuild Surly Disc Trucker Touring Rig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broken gear cable in Shimano 105 STI shifter

So, I'm riding yesterday. I feel a nice pop, and the shifter cable housing pops out of my right Shimano 105 STI shifter. I'm gearless in my small set, but I figure I can get home and just replace the cable.

I get home and inspect the shifter, and here's what I find (after pulling out the frayed cable in an attempt to get at it):

My question is this: is the shifter toast? I've looked at the disassembly instructions, and there's nothing for getting at the innards of the shifter, only the brake part. For some reason, it appears the shifter pull has rotated all the way down past where I can get at the metal nub end of the cable. And if I can't get that over, I can't get the remaining cable part out. I've tried pulling at it with some pliers, but it seems like it won't budge. Any advice for getting the remaining cable out of there?

If it is gone, can anyone recommend a path? This was a recent build (I put it together myself about a year and a half ago). The whole drivetrain is Shimano 105, 9-speed, and I'm having trouble finding 9-speed Shimano shifters. What should I do? Switch to 10-speed? Rebuild the whole drive train?