Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Bikes: Tarmac SL4, Lemond Victoire, Titus Motolite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Nother clipless pedal young rider story-

My first clipless pedals were red Looks, don't remember the model, they were elastomer sprung, and one of the few mtb pedals Look made.

Well, I didn't bother to even pay attention to the release tension which was set quite high from the factory. So high, in fact, that when I was first riding on my parents driveway (when I was back in high school) and I clipped in (NOTHING beats the feeling of clipping in for the first time, I still remember what it was like), rode across the driveway, twisted my foot sideways, and nothing. My foot and the shoe moved but no release.

Crap, now I'm not moving and I can't trackstand to save my life. Oooooooover we go, onto the driveway. Fortunatly I landed half on my shoulder/hip and half on my left hand and didn't hurt my wrist or injur anything seriously.

But I had a problem, despite having only minor scrapes. I couldn't get my freakin foot out, no matter how hard I tried! I had to take the shoes off my feet to free myself from the tangled mess of bike and idiot.

A combination of extremely high release tension and poor installation of the cleats lead to my fate- the shoe turned and the cleat did not. I had back off the release tension all the way to get the shoes out of the damn pedals.

I was really stupid. I guess I haven't improved much though...