Old 07-23-07, 11:14 AM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Lower back: Stretch your hamstrings! If they are tight they will "pull" on your lower back.

I used to be a hurdler, and now I ride bikes. I have short legs with big hamstrings, so I have always had to maintain a schedule of frequent stretching. When I first came back to cycling a few months ago, I hadn't been stretching, and my lower back would literally make me have to stop after 20 miles or so. Now that I keep my Hams stretched, and ride everyday (acclimated to riding position), I NEVER get back pain.

Knees: The two biggest factors here are (1) Saddle fore-aft adjustment (don't always go with KOP or "by-the-book" standards). Try moving the saddle back 0.5-1 cm and see what effect it has. If its worse try the same amount of adjustment forward of the previous setting. Number (2) is pedal float and cleat position. The ball of your foot should be over the pedal axle. Also the rotation of the cleat should allow for your natural foot rotation to not be bound by the constrains of your pedal float (ex. Some ride more heels-out, some ride more heels-in).

Good luck!

Marco