NH Rider

Bikes: Pedal ForceZX-2, Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
undefined

Hi to Michael and the list! I'm a newbie here on the forum so please bear with me. Michael, it sounds like you are into hard training and competition. I'm a bit different. My mode is mostly commuting and pleasure rides. I was a die-hard "roadie" once, but no more. I just switched over to a recumbent and I'm kicking my butt I didn't do it 10 years ago! I've only had the 'bent about a week and I'm selling the road bike. As long as the event is not a sanctioned event (whatever the organization is that sanctions races, the nae escapes me for the moment) there is no reason a 'bent can't compete, unless the local rules dictate otherwise. I'm having the time of my life, nothing hurts or goes numb, and my speeds are nearly where they were on my road bike! As the new muscle groups develop the speed shound increase even more. My commute takes me through the center of a good size town and I've found that motorists tend to be more courteous and give a wider berth when passing than when I was on the road bike. Other things I've noticed are that headwinds affect me less and, yes I can do hills. Since I normally spin on the road bike it is just a natural adaptation to that technique on the 'bent. The hardest part was unlearning all of the roadie habits and just learning to relax. I'm 53 so we aren't too far apart in age. Go try a 'bent and have fun. You can still keep the road bikes and there are others that ride both. Me, I'm tired of beating myself to death, numb hands, sore neck, etc. I'm just gonna ride for the pure enjoyment of riding and the 'bent does that. Hey one more additional thing: On the level, against headwinds, and especially downhill bents are faster that diamond frame bikes. With your ability I'll bet you could leave everyone in the dust!

'bent Brian
Don't know how hard core I am since I just began a year ago, but it certainly has got my attention. I tend to focus on something until I do it really well, then decide to keep with it or try something else. Kept with motorcycling 40 years, flying 10 years, computers 45 years (yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur). Recumbents look really interesting to me and I want to try one sometime. In the meanwhile I just started commuting, weather permitting, to work which is 28 miles each way. Memorized the route in my car first; then rode it. The first time I spent the whole day worrying about having the energy to ride back, especially with the last 1/2 mile 12% hill up to my house. Actually shouldn't have worried. Averaged 18.6 and wasn't exhausted. I've gradually learned the different ways to make adjustments in myself and the bike to not get the numb hands, sore neck, etc. so at least those aren't pushing bad buttons.

Next up will be a 150 miler--the MS MASS Getaway charity ride.