Old 07-25-07, 08:54 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wobblyoldgeezer
The difference between the models seems to be components, not frame - is that correct?!
Yes, frames are the same. However, steering geometry is different, noting that the T1000's steel fork used the same 55mm of rake as your Santana whereas the T2000's Bontrager carbon fork use 50mm of rake which approximates the steering geometry of Co-Motion's steel fork equipped tandems. In other words, the T2000 has what I would characterize as a bit more 'sporty' or aggressive (a good thing if you like fast descents and cornering).

If so, do you feel that the Racelight wheels, R600 brakes and 105 shifters on the T2000 are a major advantage?!
Of all the integrated go-fast wheelsets, the Bontragers seem to have the fewest issues and where issues have been reported Trek has been very responsive to owners. The R600 and R550 long-reach caliper quality and performance aren't all that different, which is also true of Tiagra vs 105 components: Tiagra is good, 105 is better (weight & finish). Ultegra / XT which is what's spec'd on the T2000 is the sweet spot in Shimano's component line in terms of best value, similar to Campy Centaur / Chorus.

Personally, I'm easily persuaded that they are -- but I prefer the colour of the T1000 -- and who wants to pay more for a bike that looks drab!
I believe you can purchase your Trek T2000 through the Project 1 program, which gives you a variety of different finish options. More info here: http://projectone.trekbikes.com/

Last edited by TandemGeek; 07-25-07 at 07:50 PM.