Old 07-25-07, 11:25 AM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
A new quill stem will not be expensive - maybe an adjustable one which will allow you to adjust both reach and height.
Apparently you are not familiar with the "Tourist" handlebar setup. The bars and stem are a single unit, with the brake lever pivots integrated with the bars. Nothing else fits.

Mike,
I'm running mine with 2" insertion, but I don't put much weight on the bars with my very upright position.

Originally Posted by AndrewP
I have read of Brooks rails breaking behind the clamp, so I wouldnt do it, although it may not be a problem at your weight.
I believe he's asking about reversing the seat clamp, not sliding the seat back in the clamp. On most bikes, it's normal to have the bolt behind the post, but many Tourist riders (including myself) run the seat clamp backwards due to the shallow (66 degree IRRC) seat tube. This does give a more upright position due to less reach to the bars.

You get more bending load on the seatpost, with the bolt behind the post. But unless the bike is way too small or you are a clydesdale this shouldn't be an issue.

BTW I should be riding a 22" but sold mine to get a 24" just to have the higher bars. When I ride my huge black beauty, with my wife on her tiny white Moulton MkIII, we do get some double takes.

I do agree with you about the advantages of a "Ladies" frame for load carrying. My "Townie" is a '73 Raleigh Ladies Sport with Wald's biggest "Newsboy" baskets.